Thursday, April 4, 2013

Race and the NCAA Tournament

As I have done semi-religiously over the past half-decade, I made my usually terrible NCAA Tournament bracket and attentively followed NCAA tournament. 

However, unlike the previous times I had watched the tournament, I was actually carefully listening the to the sports broadcasters to see if anything that could be deemed racially charged would have slipped form their mouths. 

Sadly, this wasn't case. 

I watched both Final Four games as well as the Championship game and came away with absolutely nothing. In the end, the main story of the Final Four was the gruesome injury suffered by Kevin Ware and the Cardinals' desire and commitment to winning a national title for their fallen teammate. The focus of the CBS broadcast was fixed on the emotional story Kevin Ware's injury and the basketball being played on the court. 

The only racially charged (if you can call it that) incident of the entire coverage of the tournament that I even remotely remember was Doug Gottlieb's very awkward "white man's perspective" joke that fell flat on its face on live on national television. Though it was cringeworthy and in obvious poor taste, I doubt too many people were surprised or even upset by it since Gottlieb's mouth has gotten him in trouble before. If you're at all curious, feel free to watch the video here

Aside from that I did not notice and racially charged language in any of the three games I watched and therefore, I sadly have nothing to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment